• Reload Internet, opposite Paddington Station & The London Hilton Paddington
  • OCI Help Service ONLY: 0207 193 9293 | Reload instore: 02072624111 (Not OCI)

Home / Surrender Certificate – Surrendering your Indian passport & applying for OCI at the same time

I hope this article answers all the questions you have on the surrender certificate process. In case it does and you are looking to get your OCI card after you have obtained your surrender certificate – please bear in mind that we can take care of the entire OCI visa help process for you and our prices start from only £40.

So first things first, before you can apply for an OCI card online you must have a surrender certificate. There is no way around this as you will need to Surrender your Indian passport when you get a foreign citizenship and the embassy will issue you with a Surrender certificate at this time as a surrender certificate is a mandatory document required for your online OCI application form. The link to obtaining a surrender certificate is here.

You can send your surrender of Indian passport application by post to VFS’s centralized postal visa application centre in Hayes 

From this link you will be able to book an appointment for a Surrender certificate

Click on “Schedule an appointment” and choose the VFS Centre, the number of your application & Service, select “Surrender of Passport”

Here is a link for the download form for a surrender certificate

Surrendering indian passport and applying for oci at the same time

If you already have a British passport and intend to apply for an OCI card there is usually no way to apply for a surrender certificate and OCI at the same time even if you are planning to travel to India on short notice due to family issues. However you can always try contacting VFS personally.

If you apply for a Surrender Certificate by a Postal application, then you will need a minimum of 10 working days for this to be processed. This does not include the period that your application is in transit to and from the High Commission or the Consulate General. You will need to send your valid indian passport. If you have an expired indian passport you will not need to send this. 

Documents required for a Surrender Certificate:

Here’s a list of documents required if you became a British Citizenship on or after 01 June 2010.

  • Two recent 2 inch x 2 inch photo – available at Reload in Paddington we can take care of these for you
  • Appointment Confirmation Letter
  • Surrender Certificate Application form
  • Signed copy of Declaration Form
  • Original last Indian Passport (The passport held at time of naturalisation as a British Citizen)
  • Self-attested copy of Indian Passport (copy all used pages)
  • Self-attested copy of the current foreign/British Passport (photocopy the main page with photo)
  • Self-attested copy of British Naturalisation Certificate
  • A4 sized self-addressed envelope (Special Delivery)

For detailed information on documents required kindly refer to the this link 

How do you self attest your copy for your surrender certificate application

Make a photocopy of the original document
Write the statement on the photocopy “True copy of the original”
Sign below this statement.
Submit the self-attested photocopy with the application.
Retain the original.

Costs for Surrender Certificate and Ways to pay at VFS

Payments for your surrender of your Indian passport can be made in the following ways:

Cash is accepted at the VFS India Visa Application Centre

Bank drafts or postal orders can be made at the visa application centres made payable to “VF Services UK Ltd”

Credit cards & Debit Card – Visa Electron, Maestro and Solo are also accepted at VFS centres.

According to the rules of the High commission, an applicant cannot make his/her payment by cheque.

Surrender Certificate payment methods for Postal Applications

This will have to be checked with VFS when you are posting your application, but at the time of posting from a post office, you can make a postal order through Royal Mail. Do not send cash or credit card details along with your application via post. If a family is applying together, you can pay the fees and the service charges for all the members by one draft or postal order.

Fee for surrender of passport/ renunciation of Citizenship

More information can be found here

Lost your Indian Passport – How do you obtain a Surrender Certificate?

Please follow this link to our article on what to do if you have lost indian passport surrender certificate

If you have any questions on the OCI card Process, please email us at:

Email us